IT'S DARKEST BEFORE the DAWN
The rational for the Russian analyst's gloomy outlook for America is based on the following reasoning:
"A whole range of reasons. Firstly, the financial problems in the U.S. will get worse. Millions of citizens there have lost their savings. Prices and unemployment are on the rise. General Motors and Ford are on the verge of collapse, and this means that whole cities will be left without work. Governors are already insistently demanding money from the federal center. Dissatisfaction is growing, and at the moment it is only being held back by the elections and the hope that Obama can work miracles. But by spring, it will be clear that there are no miracles."
Perhaps he is right. However the conditions now are far better than they were associated with the great depression.Then there was 25 percent unemploynment. Now it is about 10 percent plus. It probably will get worse before it gets better but there are positive signs that were not present in the thirties.
Perhaps the most important sign that we will not only survive this economic crisis but in fact may begin - once again - to move the whole nation into a preiod of unprecedented growth and development benefitting an ikncreasingly number of citizens. My reasoning follows:
- Unlike the last seven years there is substantial evidence that there is continuing collective intelligence being broght to bear fousing like a lazer beam on our most pressing problems.
- Obama and associates has hit the beach running even before the transition period is over.
- When the Republicans have little to oppose re cabinet selections, policy decisions of the democrats, assertions by Obama you know something significantly different has been changing as we speak.
- We are finally comitted to reparing the infrastructure, creating significant jobs, revamping policy in health care, energy, and education all in dire need of reform.
- Of all countries to critize us Russia is clearly not in the best position to predict our immanent collapse. This is partcularly so given the fact that oil looks like it is returning to minus $50.00 a barrel.
- American citizens have an impressive score card for mobilizing and pulling together in times of crisis provided they trust their leaders who evidence enlightened leadership.
- If the same level of sensitivity, intelligence, unity of purpose, attitude of country above partisanship, transparency, willingness to face unpleasant reality, willingness to take calculated risks, a dedication to creativity I predict the probability of the ushering in of an era of unparalleled prosperity for all.